It’s been a pretty blahtastic day, but there are always a few kernels of happy stuck in my brain somewhere down deep. For those wee moments of awesomeness, I say, “Thank you, crazy world!”
1. Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Nut Granola Bars (almond) and the Sample Lady at Sam’s who introduced me to them last weekend – they rock, and so do you, lady.
2. Learning new photo editing techniques even though I have no real purpose for knowing them – sometimes knowledge is just awesome for the sheer fact that it fills my brain with things other than the theme song from “iCarly,” images of the Avatar beating down the Fire Lord and the recipe for burrito pie (all of which have been fighting over the front seat spot in my brain today)
3. Watching my kids on the cameras in each room at their school and knowing that they are having a great time and being cared for by people who 1) take their job seriously, 2) have compassion for children and all their quirks and 3) are aware that I’m watching
4. Fat-disguising clothes
5. A 17-month-old who has finally used her Toddler to English dictionary to translate the word “no” and understand the practical applications, especially when I choose to use it in a sentence directed at her
6. The juke joint scene where Shug sings “Miss Celie’s Blues”
7. The later scene in which Shug leads the juke jointers to the church and bursts through the doors with her own band and a lung-busting delivery of “God Is Trying to Tell You Something”
8. Shame on you if you don’t understand numbers 6 and 7 or the quote “See, Daddy. Sinners have souls, too.” I can change number 8 to a happy for today if at least one person who doesn’t recognize these important bits of trivia will look it up.
9. Being uncomfortable in my own bed and having a hard time sleeping (TRANSLATION: Aubrey ended up in our bed last night and was snuggled so close to me that I couldn’t move. Thank you, God, for the gift of being uncomfortable. It means I am a Mama who was blessed to wake up next to a baby who wanted to be as close to me as she could be.)
10. A headache-free day
11. The type of relationship with Mom that makes me upset when I don’t talk to her for a day or so – thank the Heavens above for a mother who is not only a wonderful parent but a wonderful friend